So, I spent a couple hours trying to figure out why I suddenly couldn’t pass variables page to page in a custom WordPress application using $_SESSION. Turns out that in one of the major releases in the last year or so they did something that kills $_SESSION variables. Not sure how or why, but doing a Google search hinted at that.
Quick fix though. Like most things with WordPress, there’s a plugin for that. I installed Simple Session Support and it took care of the problem. I’m sure it does a bunch of stuff in the background, but, basically, you can now use $_SESSION variables again just like the old days. Nothing to configure. It just works.
Hopefully this saves someone the couple hours it took me to figure it out.